MUST HAVE SUPER FOODS FOR HEALTHY LIVING IN 2015
Every year there seems to be a new craze when it comes to dieting. I’m sure 2015 will be no disappointment. Instead of looking to programs for your answers, take a look at some of these amazing (Naturally Occurring) products that have been deemed the next big thing in healthy eating.
A close cousin to mustard greens, cabbage and arugula, Watercress is often a highly overlooked leafy green. So what makes this little plant so special…. Here it is: Watercress = more iron than spinach, more calcium than milk, and more vitamin C than oranges. With stats like that, it’s hard to argue the nutritional value of watercress.
- Widely used as a Sandwich topping in the U.K.
- Great for salads or for mixing in with Romaine Lettuce or Spinach
- Steamed and eaten as a vegetable
- Add to soup for peppery flavoring
- High in Vitamins and Nutrients
- 320% Daily Recommended value for Vitamin K
- It forms and strengthens the bones and limits neuronal damage in the brain, which is helpful in treating Alzheimer’s disease
- According to a two-year research project at the University of Ulster.Eating watercress daily has the ability to significantly reduce DNA damage to blood cells and further to resist DNA damage caused by free radicals.
‘You could call watercress the first fast food. It was a free and therefore an important source of sustenance throughout Europe and the US in the 19th century. Given the nickname “poor man’s bread,” bunches were often rolled into a cone and eaten as an on-the-go breakfast sandwich – much less expensive than the real thing.’